Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Response to "Brain Candy"

I agree with the idea that different media today like tv and video games have become more complex to the point where the viewer must use outside information in order to fully understand the references and problems which are presented. These subtle parodies like "Kennedy's assassination conspiracists" in Seinfeld ask the viewer to be familiar with allusions to certain societal occurrences past and present. Video games are also pushing the level of our imagination and problem solving skills everyday while attempting to test our coordination.
I disagree with Johnson in his mention of how the video games are social tools, because unless they are played with a group of friends they are very isolating similar to reading a book. Though video games allow you to explore there is typically a general direction that one must follow in order to successfully complete a task. This exploration generally leaves the player with one primary way of accessing a certain area or level which is similar to reading a book.
My argument does not need to be changed so much, but the organization of my supporting paragraphs needs some work. My first two paragraphs lack a concise flow but my third paragraph contains a very organized set of solutions to the problem which i have made apparent in my thesis. Gladwell's form of citing his sourcing can be very helpful in my essay to create a better sense of validity.

No comments:

Post a Comment